Since I'm lazy and a little tired, here's the latest news from work to leisure in bullet points:
- Two educational directors quit at two other children's schools at just about the same time, which makes me happy for two reasons! Number 1, that means Gunther (our loathsome German boss) will be attempting to put out those fires and will be out of our hairs for at least the next month. Number 2, "he had it coming, he only had himself to blame" (to paraphrase Catherine Zeta-Jones in Chicago). What goes around comes around and maybe this time Gunther will think harder about how he treats people!
- Gary, Mr. Sunshine-positivity, is starting to get frustrated with our lack of materials and supplies. For someone who bragged about having substitute-taught in the hardest, most gang-ridden schools of LA, I'm a bit amazed that he's letting such details get to him. I say, be creative! And anyways, it's not like three year olds are paying attention to what, let alone how, we teach them! (That being said, I still think he's cool and wish he'd hang out in the teacher's office more instead of following each and every one of Gunther's command to the letter. Seriously, who has time to do all that?! Not me!)
- I requested and was granted 10 days vacation at the end of April! Woo-hoo! Shanghai and (hopefully, if my mama and baba agrre) Hainan, here I come!
- Chinese classes are going well. The teacher's nice, explains things clearly and there's a nice, diverse group of international students who crack me up! My only hangup: Chinese characters. I write them practically on a daily basis, I dream of them, I recognize them on the street but for the life of me, I can't remember what they mean!
- I've officially switched to Monday's volunteer group. It comprises one Australian woman in her sixties, one English woman in her fifties, a New Zealander in her 30s, and two American women (one in her late twenties and one in her thirties). Compared to the pampered expats of Tuesday, they're real down to earth and so kind!
-And lastly, Carrefour was miraculously empty last night! Now if it could just stay that way....