july 21, 2010
01.07.2010 - 21.07.2010 32 °C
I gave my month's notice two weeks ago. My last day of work will be August 1st and I'll be leaving China exactly two weeks from today, on August 4th. I know this may sound as though it's coming out of nowhere. But in fact, it's been brewing for a while. When Gunther (our Type A, anal retentive boss) first showed up in January with his revamped class organization, I nearly quit. I started looking at other schools where I could teach. But in the end, I figured he was only here temporarily (although for a while there, it looked as though he wasn't ever going to leave!!!) and that I, myself, only intended to stay in China for a year.
And then, about a month ago (see "When the shit hits the fan" entry), when my internet broke down, when Beverly and three other colleagues were on their way out and when Gary was getting on my last nerve, I wanted to throw in the towel. But Mike advised me not to make any rash decisions, that I might come to regret decisions made out of spite. (He's so wise!)
So then, why now? Why not wait until early October, when my contract ends? Well, for one thing, Mike started a new job a month ago and it's been very difficult communicating. We're lucky if we speak 3 hours on the phone in one week! And then, I figured I'd have a better chance of landing an English teaching job if I got home before the school year resumes! Knock on wood! I haven't actually started searching for work yet!
PS: Stay tuned to find out what I will and won't miss in China!!!